Our team provides a wide range of professional training and other educational opportunities for interested groups on child sexual abuse recognition and prevention, mandated reporting, and the Carousel Center’s program services. If you work for a school, daycare, after-school program, church, or any organization serving children, let us help you train your staff and volunteers. We welcome the opportunity to provide information in a brief talk for civic organizations.
Topics are varied and may include the following:
- Overview and Tour of the Child Advocacy Center: 45-60 minutes, no cost
Come see our facility in Supply, NC, or Wilmington, NC and learn more about the services of the Carousel Center Child Advocacy Center.
- Child Advocacy Center 101 – this talk can be modified based on the time available. Overview of the child advocacy center model and specific services provided by The Carousel Center. This is an informative presentation ideal for civic groups, Rotary, Kiwanis, United Way meetings, etc.
- Darkness to Light’s Stewards of Children® (SOC) 2 hours depending on Q&A. This nationally recognized, evidence-informed training has proven to increase knowledge of child sexual abuse and change child-protective behaviors using 5 simple steps. Continuing education contact hours are available for social workers, child care providers, and nurses. Continuing Legal Education (CLE) contact hours may also be offered. For information on Training dates and curriculum.
- Resilience: Film Screening and Discussion: 1.5 hours, no cost. Adversity in childhood has lifelong effects on health and behavior. Resilience: the Biology of Stress & the Science of Hope chronicles the use of brain science to disrupt cycles of violence, addiction, and disease. Click the link to preview the film:
For more information, or to discuss other potential training opportunities, contact Rebecca Martin, Education, and Prevention Coordinator at the Carousel Center Child Advocacy Center, or call 910-254-9898.
How To Report Suspected Child Abuse
If you suspect that a child is being abused or neglected, or if you think a child may have died from being mistreated, the law requires you to report what you know to your county’s Department of Social Services.
- New Hanover County: 910-798-3400
- Brunswick County: 910-253-2077
- Pender County: 910-259-1240
If you believe a child is in imminent danger call 9-1-1 immediately.
The Suicide Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255
Crisis Text Line – Text HOME to 741741
Trillium Screening Triage and Referral – 1-877-685-2415