Our team provides a wide range of professional training and other educational opportunities for interested groups on child sexual abuse recognition and prevention, mandated reporting, and the Carousel Child Advocacy Center’s program services.
If you work for a school, daycare, after-school program, church, or any organization serving children, let us help you train your staff and volunteers. We welcome the opportunity to provide information in a brief talk for civic organizations.
Topics are varied and may include the following:
- Overview and Tour of the Child Advocacy Center: 45-60 minutes, no cost
Visit your local Child Advocacy Center (CAC). Essential services are provided in three locations in Brunswick, New Hanover County, and our new location in Burgaw, in Pender County to serve children, their families, and our partners closer to home.
Come take a tour to understand the history and services offered at Carousel Child Advocacy Center. You will also learn about the benefits of the CAC model and how we collaborate with our community partners to promote healing and justice for children. In-person or virtual presentations are available.
- Child Advocacy Center 101: this talk can be modified based on the time available. Overview of the child advocacy center model and specific services provided by Carousel Child Advocacy Center and the current state of Child Abuse in our community. This is an informative presentation ideal for civic groups, Rotary, Kiwanis, United Way meetings, etc.
- Be Part of the Solution to End Child Abuse In Our Community: take the Stewards of Children workshop and be an advocate for children in our community, learn how to identify the signs of abuse and how to report it. Take the Stewards of Children® a 2.5-hour award-winning, evidence-informed curriculum that equips every adult in our community to protect children from child sexual abuse (CSA). This nationally recognized, evidence-informed training has proven to increase knowledge of child sexual abuse and change child-protective behaviors using 5 simple steps. Continuing education contact hours are available for social workers, childcare providers, and nurses. Continuing Legal Education (CLE) contact hours may also be offered.
- Click HERE to view current session dates or for information to schedule a private group workshop.
- Resilience: Film Screening and Discussion: 1.5 hours, no cost. Adversity in childhood has lifelong effects on health and behavior. Resilience: the Biology of Stress & the Science of Hope chronicles the use of brain science to disrupt cycles of violence, addiction, and disease. This film is 60 minutes with 30 minutes of discussion time; that explores the science behind Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). Directed by James Redford, it not only explains how exposure to trauma affects a child’s brain but also demonstrates how toxic stress increases the risk of a lifetime of negative health outcomes, even early death. Contact Rebecca Martin at 910-254-9898 to schedule a screening. Click the link to preview the film:
For more information, or to discuss other potential training opportunities, contact Rebecca Martin, Education, and Prevention Coordinator at the Carousel Center Child Advocacy Center, or call 910-254-9898.
Additional Training is in Development – Check back for more educational opportunities!